We don’t know much more than we did last week at this point. We did have about 10” of that finer Sierra snow yesterday, but it was not quite enough density to make a difference at the 6600’ elevation.
Hope still remain high for this next series of systems, if it comes in as predicted over the next few days, it could be the game changer. Still too early in the week to predict.
Over the weekend, the snowcat was able to climb down and more importantly back up the Grizzly Access Road, but it was very thin and they felt the rocks through the tracks almost the whole way down, making it a slow and tedious ride back out.. This last storm helped a little but not enough to make another pass.
We will wait out this next system and then try it again. As a reminder we do have performance clause with the USFS to be able to evacuate the stranded people at Griz bottom in a reasonable amount of time should the lift decide not to operate. The depth of snow coverage on the road is the critical factor; we need enough to make several down and outs, not just once in and out.
Once again we play the waiting game. (HINT: while Cottage Springs is slight lower, it always a good gauge, if the forest floor looks covered, with no stumps, rocks, willows, mud or water/stream courses showing - the lower mtn is probably getting close)
Please feel free to leave comments but abide by our rules. Thanks! To add a comment to any post, just CLICK on the title!